1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
We’re Gonna Do It!
I was just watching Sportscenter and Jalen Rose made a Laverne & Shirley reference while discussing the 2010 NBA Playoffs. JALEN ROSE. I had two reactions, first my mind was completely blown. Second, I immediately became nostalgic for my childhood.
I have a lot of fond memories of this show. I used to watch the reruns all the time as a kid. I don’t really know how i functioned as a kid. I remember being a good student, playing outside every day, but I also watched hours and hours and hours of television.
I distinctly remember watching a lot of reruns of classic television shows like Happy Days, Mork & Mindy, Happy Days, and, of course, Laverne & Shirley.
Not only is this a great show, but it would make a great costume. Now I do not mind it when women dress excessively trashy. As a straight man, I love it. I do realize, however, that lots of women want to dress up for Halloween, look cute, and still manage to cover more than 15% of their body with clothing.
I hear you sisters. That is why Bonnie and I (if Bonnie ever comes up with a post) are going to try and post as many of our non-slutty costume ideas as possible. In order to transform these costumes into slutty versions, just reduce the amount of fabric or replace the required top with a bra or bikini top.
How to Laverne it up
Laverne De Fazio
Laverne is the easiest of the two characters. Her look is more iconic. The key elements are
- Hair: Reddish and short. You can probably find a wig. There must be a name for her particular do, but I don’t know what it is.
- Skirt: To make the duo costume work the best, go with the classic poodle skirt look used by Laverne in earlier episodes.
- The “L”: You could wear whatever top you want, but you must have a cursive, capital “L” embroidered or ironed onto your shirt.
Shirley is the more difficult of the two. It is hard to distinguish her as a stand-alone costume. If you are not careful, you will have to be joined at the hip to Laverne all night for fear of someone thinking that you came to the party without a costume. I think the key is to look like a cute brunette 50s girl the entire time so that people will get the period regardless of whether they get that you are Shirley.
- Hair: You need to have dark brunette hair in a short cut similar to Shirley.
- Top: Whatever you can get that looks like the 50s. Doesn’t really matter.
- Skirt: Poodle skirt is a must. I think the best would be if you could find a skirt that matches Laverne’s skirt. See the first picture above. Shirley and Laverne have similar looking plaid skirts.
That’s it, just remember. Fonzie is cool, Squiggy is not.